Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A momentous day in America.  I won't add my thoughts to the outpourings of greater minds, except to say how it makes me feel to see this man lifted to leadership by a stricken but hopeful country.  I feel good.  Incredibly good.  Some comments by friends:

"It's taken me a couple of hours to figure out what emotion I was experiencing with Obama's victory.  I feel like I'm living in the future." - Dan

"I know Americans are meant to hate it when non-Americans poke their noses into the US electoral process, but CONGRATS, man!  We cheered aloud when we heard, even though it was the early hours of the morning." -Mike

"What began twenty-one months ago in the depths of winter must not end on this autumn night.  This victory alone is not the change we seek - it is only the chance for us to make that change.  And that cannot happen if we go back to the way things were.  It cannot happen without you." - Barak

It's a good day to be an American.  Even a small, furry, half-blind one.

2 comments:

Pauline Connelly said...

I became an American citizen just months before 9/11. It was the close race in Florida in 2000 that helped convince me that after living here for over 15 years it was time to petition for the right to vote.

Being an American citizen, I experienced the attack on the twin towers very differently then I would have as a Canadian. The terrorists weren't attacking "them" - they were attacking me!

I felt the same way intense connection to this country again yesterday - only instead of feeling fear I felt hope and pride. I was so proud to be an American, and proud of my fellow Americans.

PS. I promise to wear the stars and stripes rather than a maple leaf next time I travel in Europ.

Maulwerf Christophe said...

Time was wearing a maple leaf abroad might have been safer than wearing the stars and stripes. Let's hope that changes now.

Me, I always wear moleskin.

-L