Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wham!


Tom Wham games could not be overplayed. We tore the cardboard stock maps gleefully from the innards of the newest DRAGON magazine, carefully cut apart the chits, then played them until they began to fray.
Oh, but in the next step lay true our genius. In our impatience we could not wait for the next game; our young minds abuzz with late nights, sprite and hormones, we modified our worn and well-loved games. Witness above, several of the original "arms" chits from Tom Wham's Search for the Emperor's Treasure, alongside several of our modified chits. Truly, genius work.

3 comments:

Maulwerf Christophe said...

Brother, you reveal the tip of one of the largest of our ancient ice-bergs with this one. Oh, the playing pieces I have made in my day! The maps you have drawn! Is there no game that we haven't laid our dirty paws upon? With reverence, of course. Always allowing the games to retain their dignity.

-L

Unknown said...

All I remember is getting my but handed to me playing Starship Troopers (be I human or bug)while models of airplanes hung overhead.....leading to the developement of your own games with rules to complicated for my non-gamming brain. Just give me a frog to dissect and I was happy.

Maulwerf Christophe said...

Ah, Starship Troopers. A classic from the golden age of Avalon Hill Games. I never got to play the burrowing Bugs (for which there were little printed versions of the map which the Bug player would mark up, showing where his tunnels were... hours of fun for the Bug player, not so much for his bored opponent).

Frog Dissection, on the other hand. Not so much.

-L